LG’s Best Super UHD HDR TV Now Live With A $600 Black Friday Discount
Stephan Jukic – November 21, 2018
LG’s Super UHD 4K HDR TVs are nowhere near as famous as the brand’s now legendary OLED 4K HDR TV models but this doesn’t mean that they’re not awesome LCD TVs in their own right. The 2018 batch of them in particular consists of what we would call some of the best technology of their kind we’ve ever seen on the market, and this makes them rather special in a certain way.
You see, all of the Super UHD Series LG 4K TVs come with IPS display technology in their screens, meaning that they deliver incredibly broad viewing angles (much better than those of VA panel 4K TVs like those made by Samsung or most of Sony’s LCD models). However, IPS display has traditionally always suffered from weak contrast ratios and cloudy black levels, creating a negative tradeoff on the wide viewing angles. What makes the 2018 LG Super UHD sets so unique is that they’re some of the first we’ve ever seen to keep the IPS viewing angles while nearly eliminating the bad contrast, and the visual result is very impressive.
Best of all, the LG 2018 Super UHD SK9000 models that Amazon is now offering at enormous discounts deliver these IPS display improvements to the best level we’ve ever noticed, and right now, both the 55 inch and 65 inch editions of both televisions are on sale with discounts that slash $300 and $600 off their original retail prices.
Not only is the SK9000 a fantastic IPS LCD TV, it’s also just a great 4K HDR TV in general. These models offer complete support for all major HDR formats, and thus include both Dolby Vision and HDR10 support along with others. Furthermore, they come with some truly excellent wide color delivery specs and very decent local dimming technology that’s backed by the power of full-array LED backlighting. In basic terms, this means that they can get incredibly bright while also being capable of very deep, rich black levels and contrast at the same time. Having both of these features is crucial to high caliber visuals in a 4K TV, so yeah, it’s a big deal. Combining all this with the viewing angles of IPS display technology makes these perfect living room TVs for anyone who wants to crowd the whole family around for a movie, even if some of them have to sit way off to the side.
LG’s smart TV platform is also great, and we’d probably call it one of the best native TV smart TV systems out there, with some great access to 4K/HDR content apps and plenty of extra entertainment options for gaming and music. Furthermore, the SK9000 edition delivers some wickedly efficient gaming connectivity options for both consoles and PCs.
Here are some additional features of the Super UHD SK9000 HDR TV:
- AI (Artificial Intelligence) ThinQ has the Google Assistant built in, so you can control compatible smart home devices using just your voice through the LG Magic Remote. Create a center for your smart home and beyond.
- α7 Intelligent Processor enhances 4K HDR content for a truly cinematic experience. Enjoy a more lifelike picture with superior depth, sharpness, and remarkably accurate color.
- Full array local dimming results in better picture quality. This more precise local dimming control enhances the contrast and maintains deep black levels while reducing light bleed.
- 4K Cinema HDR on LG SUPER UHD TV with AI ThinQ features comprehensive support of major high dynamic range formats including Dolby Vision, as well as HDR10 and HLG, both with LG’s advanced tone-mapping technology that provides scene-by-scene optimization.
- Dolby Atmos support for the same audio technology developed for state-of-the-art cinemas, with immersive sound that appears to come from everywhere
- Wall mount VESA:300 x 300
- Nano Cell Display has an expanded color gamut to deliver truer colors. It also absorbs unwanted light and reduces reflectivity to assure deeper black levels, even at a wider viewing angle.
- Inputs: 4 HDMI, 3 USB, 1 RF, 1 Composite in, 1 Ethernet, 1 Optical, 1 RS232C (Mini Jack) and Audio Return Channel Support via HDMI.
Again, these are LG’s absolute best non-OLED 4K TVs and they’re priced wonderfully right now through this pre-Black Friday Amazon deal