NVIDIA’s Shield 2017 4K HDR Media Platform Already On Sale For Black Friday
Stephan Jukic – November 22, 2017
The NVIDIA Shield was originally released in late 2015 but since then, this hardcore and highly versatile gaming console/ streaming media platform has received a heavily upgraded 2017 edition that kicks ass for both gaming and plenty of 4K movies. Best of all, even before Black Friday 2017 kicks off it’s now selling at its lowest price ever seen so far on Amazon and with others. The announcement was made yesterday and will apply to sales of the latest NVIDIA Shield model across a multitude of retailers as well.
As a central smart 4K TV entertainment hub, the Shield is almost unbeatable. We covered the console/streaming media platform in our “Devices” page, in which we ranked it among several other streaming UHD HDR content gadgets for today’s 4K home theater system. Not only does the NVIDIA Shield come with the extremely versatile Android TV smart platform and its access to literally hundreds of streaming 4K and HD content apps, it also includes Google Play access and the very robust NVIDIA streaming games platform baked right into it. Both gamers and regular fans of Netflix 4K movies or Amazon Prime’s HDR content will basically find plenty to love about the Shield 2017 model. The Shield console also plays local content via its numerous HDMI and USB connectivity ports and even serves as a “SmartThings” hub for wireless connectivity and control of Samsung-compatible external devices.
The makers of the Shield have also baked Google Assistant onboard into it and the game/media console’s cool looking controllers even come with built in microphones for voice commands. One other excellent feature of the NVIDIA Shield is its high level of future-proofing. NVIDIA has given the media console long term support via firmware updates for new connectivity specs, video formats and all major software enhancements.
As such, its previous price was already pretty damn decent with all that this media box had to offer. Its new pre- Black Friday price however is genuinely awesome and made even sweeter by the inclusion of a 3 month subscription to YouTube Red which will come with the streamer.
The new price of the NVIDIA Shield will be a very budget-friendly $149, with a version that includes controller selling for $169. This discount deal is expected to go live with various retailers, including Amazon, Best Buy, B&H, NewEgg and others, so keep your eyes open if you’re a NVIDIA fan who loves both NVIDIA-related gaming and 4K movies in one single device.
Here’s what the Nvidia Shield 2017 deal from Amazon gives you:
- Connected Google Life – Access all your Google content and smart home features with Google Assistant, share your Google Photos in 4K, and cast your favorite apps to your TV with Chromecast 4K.
- 4K HDR Powerhouse – Watch Netflix and Amazon Video in crisp 4K HDR, and YouTube, Google Play Movies & TV, and VUDU in 4K. Apps like HBO Now, Spotify, and ESPN meet all your entertainment needs.
- NVIDIA-Powered Gaming – Cast games from your GeForce-powered PC to your TV in 4K HDR at 60 FPS. Get NVIDIA-powered cloud gaming on demand with GeForce NOW. And enjoy exclusive Android games only on SHIELD.
- Smart Home Ready – Google Assistant lets you control your entertainment and smart home with your voice. Add SmartThings Link to wirelessly connect lights, speakers, thermostats, and much more.
- Get YouTube Red for 3 months free – $29.97 in value. Explore uninterrupted music, ad-free videos, and exclusive original movies and shows from your favorite YouTube creators. Limited-time offer ends 12/31.
Story by 4k.com