LG Removes 3D From Its 2017 4K UHD HDR TVs, Fans Retaliate With Another Petition.

by on January 19, 2017

Stephan Jukic – January 19, 2017

First there was the HDR gaming incident with LG’s 2016 and 2015 TVs. In this incident, which we reported on, many TV models and particularly the 2016 lineup of Super UHD and OLE TVs were sharply criticized by fans and tech watchers alike for not having the right technology to handle HDR 4K gaming with a reasonably low input lag. The backlash from consumers reached a point where a couple of actual petitions were started on the website Change.org in order to push LG into fixing the issue through bad publicity. Whether it was due to the online petitions or broader consumer pressure, LG responded to hastily address the issue and a firmware update was beamed out to most 2016 LG HDR TVs in an effort to fix the problem

Now, having seen that determined complaint can make LG listen, some fans of the brand’s 4K TVs are once again working to push the company into fixing another major issue that these TV buyers have. Namely, LG’s decision to exclude 3D technology of any kind from its 2017 lineups of OLED and Super UHD LCD TVs.

This latest complaint by LG fans has also spawned an online petition, which was launched shortly after LG made the announcement of 3D support exclusion at CES 2017 in early January and the consumers behind it want LG to fix the problem with its next unveiling of TVs in 2018.

In this case, there’s no chance of forcing LG to address the 3D issue with the new 2017 models since 3D support can’t simply be added in via firmware updates. Instead it requires hardware additions that are obviously not going to be coming for the already unveiled 2017 4K Super UHD and stunningly designed new OLED 4K HDR TV models or any other 2017 LD TVs. Fans of LG televisions are of course aware of this and thus this newest Change petition is asking that LG simply consider putting 3D support back into its 2018 lineup of television models, or at least releasing one model in the 2018 OLED lineup with 3D included.

One of LG's 2017 flagship OLED 4K TVs, the ultra-thin W6

One of LG’s 2017 flagship OLED 4K TVs, the ultra-thin W6

How much traction the petition gains and how seriously LG takes it now or a year from now remains to be seen but petition creator Aidan Padden has claimed that the inclusion of 3D support in LG’s TVs was a key reason why many AV fans bought even the expensive 2016 OLED models like the E6 and G6 instead of the cheaper but 3D-free B6 TV last year. Of course this claim fails to mention that LG’s 2016 C6 model had 3D as well while costing almost the same as its flat-screened B6 cousin. Furthermore, according to Padden, thousands of LG TV buyers who own multiple 3D Blu-ray discs will be disappointed by the lack of 3D support in this year’s TVs from the brand, especially those consumers who have spent thousands of dollars on buying all these discs. The fact that several thousand people have now signed Padden’s LG 3D OLED petition gives weight to his claims of consumer frustration. The number is certainly not something to ignore in a market as competitive as 4K TV manufacturing.

What’s also amusing about this incident is how LG seems to be the only one getting this kind of specific flak for its exclusion of 3D. Samsung’s entire lineup of 2016 4K TVs failed to include 3D support of any kind and the same applied to the brand’s 2017 QLED and other UHD TVs. Yet while many Samsung fans are surely not happy about this, there certainly haven’t been any petitions put up to force a revision of Samsung TV design policy.

However, despite the large number of petition signatures and the continuing existence of 3D-supporing 4K TVs from rival brands (like Sony’s models), there is a good chance that LG will simply ignore this petition during development of its 2018 television models, especially once the attention caused by the consumer complaints has died down. For one thing, 3D is failing across the board, having been effectively killed by Samsung and other brands and also because the relatively new technology of 4K UHD Blu-ray discs doesn’t support 3D either.

As for LG’s response, according to Forbes reporter John Archer, who contacted company representatives about the petititon and 3D support for a 2018 OLED TV, the answer was less than favorable for fans of LG 3D. The company claimed that it decided to forego 3D support in favor of much more widely popular and thus arguably more important technologies like HDR. We can probably assume that this same attitude will translate into the 2018 models.

• Zax
    January 20, 2017 at 5:13 am

3D is a dying gimmick. It’s a waste of money and hardware to keep pushing on.

• Jacob
    January 20, 2017 at 10:19 am

This is sad news. To me and my family, OLED passive 3d is simply better and more immersive. We have 50+ 3d blurays and about 20 4k HDR blurays, and alwas prefer 3d on our lg OLED 65″ 65c6p. They should really keep both, and ultimately should upgrade 3d to 4k 3d HDR. I truly believe that most(not all) people that see 3d on OLED TVs would appreciate it. 3d should not be competing with 2d, but should rather be a secondary supplementary option/tool for producers and consumers to use on content that properly uses 3d. I know this is subjective, but I believe this move goes backwards as 3d is simply better than 2d when properly implemented… And now finally with bright fast contrasty OLED tvs and laser projectors (iMax laser and AMC Dolby cinema laser), 3d is better than ever and is overcoming the 3d weaknesses that the dark and blurry original tvs and projectors had. When you compare 2d vs 3d, please don’t do it using an active 3d TV or standard dark 3d theater projector… Do the comparison using an OLED 3dtv or a new 3d laser projector, as that better represents the future of 3d… Using these 2 systems I truly believe majority of people will prefer 3d (on proper content!).

• Scott lippitt
      July 16, 2017 at 3:25 pm

I agree with you 100% I too have spent over £3.000 on 3d blu ray films and LG 5.1 surround sound set up. Not only my big screen LG 1080p smart 3d tv that one day I would of like to up grade one day.

• UHDIsAGimmick
    January 20, 2017 at 12:52 pm

“In this case, there’s no chance of forcing LG to address the 3D issue with the new 2017 models since 3D support can’t simply be added in via firmware updates.” Technically not true. ANY 120hz+ set can support active shutter 3D glasses. It isn’t the kind of 3D LG fans want but to simply display 3D input requires only bluetooth pairing to glasses and the tv firmware to sync even/odd frames.
    Also, I don’t think most people realize that LG hasn’t started production of all their 2017 models yet (most of which won’t hit stores until July). They may not even have stopped production of all of their 2016 sets yet. It will actually be easier LG to keep making 3D sets while they still have the production lines setup and stock of polarized screens than if they stop making 3D for one and try to add them back in the following year.

Stephen
      February 1, 2017 at 3:10 am

LG (and Sony and Samsung) have all publicly stated that 3D technology is no longer something that interests them for their newer TVs. We strongly doubt we’ll see an update for 3D emerge later on in any of the LG models for this year.

• UHDIsAGimmick
    January 20, 2017 at 1:36 pm

BTW, the reason no one complained when Samsung (and a few others) removed 3D from their tv lineups is simple- the active shutter glasses they used were pure crap. They made a large number of people sick, the glasses are heavy, they run out of batteries at the most inconvenient times and they cost a ton of money. Good riddance.

• Phillip Hatfield
    January 20, 2017 at 1:58 pm

Maybe they need to accept that 3DTV was never commercial successful, and besides 3D’s been around for more than 50 years, and all it really is is just a gimmick. Not many wanted to pay top dollar for a 3D picture that’s hard on the eyes, and it boggles my mind why studios keep putting out 3D Blu-rays when people aren’t buying a 3DTV. That’s why LG is dropping out of the 3D business, the TVs and players themselves didn’t sell well, and you can’t make money off of something that not many people are willing to buy.

• Gábriel Priòre
      February 21, 2017 at 5:10 am

Although I am still using an ancient LG 55LW5700, the passive 3D quality directly from Blu-ray 3D discs and even converting standard Blu-ray discs as well as high resolution photos to 3D is so shockingly astounding, that, I hail it as the finest invention in all of television history. I do not understand how so many people can be outrageously clueless enough to not realize this.

• Steve Wells
      March 2, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Why is there always some Cyclops to loudly proclaim the great lie, that 3D television is just a gimmick? The amazing technology that brings 3D into my living room is most certainly no more a gimmick than motion (“A gimmick,” scrawls the painter), or color (A “gimmick,” cries the monochromatic colorblind), or multi-channel sound (“A gimmick,” signs the stone deaf). Certainly there is some poor quality 3D content, to go with the 10,000 times more garbage available as 2D content. But all my high-quality 3D content delights all the visitors to my home and me, too. That content includes 3D Blu-rays, DirecTV 3D programs, and the 3D video and still material that I have shot personally.
      If you don’t like viewing the world with two eyes, or you have a biologically deficient visual system, please shut your problematic eye(s) and preferably instruct your mouth (really, typing hand) to follow suit.

Perhaps you don’t or can’t enjoy the best of modern visual technology. A great many others value that technology and are willing to plunk down their hard-earned cash for it. LG has dropped out of the 3D business (hopefully only temporarily) because they don’t have the business savvy to recognize an upscale clientele to whom they can sell pricey technology for which they’ve already amortized their development costs.

• John
        June 22, 2017 at 4:06 pm

I don’t think LG took full advantage of the technology. 3D is really stereo vision. They could have included twin receivers in the TV and Bluetooth connection for head phones. Then two channels could be watched full screen at the same time. Multi tuners would also allow recording one channel while watching another via a USB hard drive. Nobody is mentioning split screen gaming using the 3D to allow two gamers to see a different full screen image. By adding a depth camera LG could have done some really clever things with the user interface in 3D. I think LG has killed the tech before fully implementing it. It shows a lack of imagination and innovation on their part.
        Part of the reason for tech like this dying is the premium charged for the media (not a hardware issue). The same could happen to UHD BluRay. The tech doesn’t change the stories being told not even a little bit, it just improves the quality of the experience (from which the glasses detract). We choose big OLED, 4K, HDR, and passive 3D for quality reasons too. As a consumer I can get the full story and maybe 90% the quality for much less by buying DVD and with DVD’s I don’t worry about zones and blocked skip forwards. A lot of stuff is still sold on DVD or at DVD quality because consumers are price sensitive and won’t pay 50% more for maybe a perceived 5-10% improvement in the quality of the experience (if they have the hardware to realize it) and a 0% improvement in the story. If movie execs could rein in their greed and not charge a premium for new medium mass adoption would be a lot faster and improving consumer experiences would surely increase sales volumes and passion for the art.
        There is also enormous lag in the quality of the hardware installed in the average house which affects the quality of media that can be consumed. For me it might be 10 years or more between TV purchases. My last TV was 720p and couldn’t display better than DVD quality due to predating HDMI. Even BluRay was pointless until I updated. So I think adoption of new tech is SLOW for the average consumer and killing 3D now is premature and early in its cycle. If I’m buying a premium product and paying a lot for it I want all the features even if I won’t use them that often. I don’t want a stripped back dumbed down product. I also want to be reasonably future proofed since I won’t be in the market again for a good long while.

• Frank
    January 21, 2017 at 1:30 am

LG were the only company out there doing great 3D – a lot of the other companies had poor active systems which put a lot of people off.

Unfortunately a lot of people have only ever seen the poor active implementations with crosstalk and battery powered glasses which gave them headaches and don’t realise that the sort of 3D performance that was possible on LG OLED could even be achieved in the home with passive glasses that were cheap and lightweight.

Even with the lack of contrast the LG IPS TVs did good 3D as well and it’s gone from there too.

I feel sorry for all the people that spent money on 3D Blu-rays – who’s to say they won’t ditch off the newer standards any time soon?

And it’s not like all the higher end TVs suddenly got much cheaper now that 3D support has been removed

• Gábriel Priòre
      February 21, 2017 at 5:14 am

• Gadgety
    January 22, 2017 at 1:34 am

I watched the Djungle Book in 3D on the LG OLED and I must say it was stunning. From a consumer perspective I’m glad I got one of the older models. LG’s strategy to remove it, if for cost reasons seems pathetic. Rather it seems they are resorting to the tactic of removing features while adding others. In 2018 3D might be back, but instead something else has been removed.

• Gadgety
    January 22, 2017 at 1:44 am

“3D is failing across the board”

Really? Kids love it. If they have the choice of 3D or not, it’s always 3D.

When 3D finally arrived in the shape of cross talk free, passive OLED in full HD LG remove it. Don’t they need to get payback from their R&D? Poorly marketed, I’d say.

“…it decided to forego 3D support in favor of much more widely popular and thus arguably more important technologies like HDR.” Kind of like “Ford decided to forego steering wheels and instead of the widely more popular and thus arguably more important technologies like wheels.” The cost must be totally negligible. No new TV here until it’s back. Arguably 3D is more relevant than 4k, specially for sub 20 ft screens.

• RKlado
    January 24, 2017 at 1:57 pm

Great…
    Sort of confounding how limited the high end of TV tech is.
    But since Sony now has LG OLED I have hopes that I can vote with my wallet if the Sony A1 HDR OLED comes with 3D.
    ( figure if stereoscopy was not important that God would not have blessed me with two eyes! )

But what about 32 inch models ( or lower )?
    So I could buy the same HDR OLED for my desktop computer display? ( instead of buying a 32″ ASUS HDR with LCD screen for a butt hurting $1900 )

Perusing LG’s website I can’t even find a 32 inch TV set with 4k? There is no market for small room 4k sets that do not swallow a room? At 32″ the quality experience difference between UHD and FHD is huge! ( and would have enough consumer competitive market force for me to have an affordable alternative to Gamer Branded overpriced bait like ASUS’s ROG brand that I could leverage and stick it to such perceived market disrespect by opening and closing my wallet rather than a petition )

Stephen
      January 30, 2017 at 7:27 pm

Hey there RKlado. What you’ve noted is correct. There basically are no 4K TVs in the 32 inch range. All of the major brands have at least so far only released TV models with 4K resolution and HDR starting at 40 inches or larger. This definitely applies to Samsung, Sony, Vizio, LG and other major brands. However, there are 24, 27 inch and slightly larger PC monitors with 4K resolution and even HDR coming out in 2017 which can partially be used as substitute 4K TV displays with a PC, except without the usual smart features that come built into actual smart 4K TVs.

• Bender
    January 29, 2017 at 6:22 am

If industry wants to kill the 3D, ok, fine, but PLEASE, stop making new 3D movies for cinema and blu-ray. 😒 this is really stupid and nonsense.

• stonepatterson
    January 30, 2017 at 8:58 am

I love 3D. We have about 40 3D movies. When friends come over… we share the experience. We will not buy any 2017 model that does NOT have 3D. Sony will be our next brand purchased. Samsung and LG, you loose.

• Gábriel Priòre
      February 21, 2017 at 5:18 am

Unfortunately Sony has only ever dealt with active 3D rather than passive 3D, which is the only reason I avoided the Sony brand.

• Ryan Redmond
    January 31, 2017 at 8:11 am

Majority don’t like 3d because the media constantly bash it which is childish and pathetic.from moaning about price of discs yet giving glowing reviews to more expensive 4k discs,or moaning how wearing glasses is a problem yet giving glowing reviews to vr headsets which are massive and often attached to wired.as a glasses wearer I see no issue with 3d glasses,people just like to moan about stuff rather than relax chill and enjoy life while they can.im sure as many people enjoy 3d as enjoy pointless apps like Facebook or YouTube yet all TVs include them,just lie the even more pointless movie move or game mode,ive yet to find anyone who uses them

• David
    February 2, 2017 at 4:17 am

Well I must be in an extreme minority because I was looking specifically for the best 65″ TV under $2000 with 3D being my number one criteria. Last week I bought a LG65UH8500, and the 3D is better than expected especially the 2D conversion to 3D. The color inaccuracies and backlighting banding notwithstanding, I got the best that met my requirements.

• P4
    March 2, 2017 at 8:31 am

Passive 3D on LG is ACTUALLY very nice. Looking Avatar on a nice panel with lightweight “glasses” is really a treat.

So, my next TV needs to have:
    – 3D (passive!)
    – OLED
    – UHD
    – HDR

That means actually LG is the only viable option, which is probably why people petition LG to add it back!

• Rob
      March 24, 2017 at 11:00 am

Don’t forget Dolby Vision! It’s similar to HDR. Most 4K movies and shows on Netflix use Dolby Vision, and I don’t think any of them use HDR. Lucky for you, LG is the only one with both HDR and DV support, or at least one of just a few that do.

• Marty McCafferty
    March 28, 2017 at 4:09 pm

LG passive 3D is excellent. It was the reason I spent lot of money on the expensive LG OLED TV. It is a great feature for a TV to have available. Not only for 3D movies, but for my own 3D content. I have 3D stills and home movies. 3D home movies are like being there, the TV becomes a window to the past.
    (I believe 3D TV manufacturers should of helped average people make 3D content, that would have increased demand for 3d)
    I hope they will make 3D available again on future TVs.

• Daniel
    April 2, 2017 at 1:33 pm

3D is NOT a gimmick anymore than stereo audio is a gimmick. All I can say is that excluding 3D from all newer TV’s will make my wife happy because I no longer feel the compulsive desire upgrade to the newest TV every year. I guess my LG 75UH8500 is that last TV I will ever buy. Thanks, I guess, LG, Samsung and Sony. You are going to save me LOTS of money.

• Jeff
    April 6, 2017 at 12:05 am

I’ve also held back on buying any new TV this year because of the lack of 3D. Funnily enough, my wife keeps saying “we need a bigger TV”. But when I tell her there’s no way to get as good a picture as we already have (we have a Panasonic plasma) *and* 3D without spending $20,000 on an OLED TV, she balks just like I do. It’s amazing that we’re going backwards with TV technology. Higher resolution is nice, but it’s not really a feature, it’s just a slight improvement (at normal viewing distances). HDR is way more of a gimmick than 3D ever was – who wants to be watching a dark scene and then be blinded by the sunrise? Meanwhile, we’ve got worse black levels, worse viewing angles, worse color accuracy, and we’re giving up new and really cool stuff like 3D.

It’s a sorry state the TV industry’s in right now. I’m glad I bought a TV when I did. I’ll upgrade the day mine breaks beyond repair or gets stolen.

• Raj
    April 18, 2017 at 4:42 pm

There was no petition to Samsung because they didn’t make good 3D TV’s. Samsung only catered to the active 3D market, which is unpleasant enough in theaters so why would any serious viewer want it at home? Active 3D may be necessary for projectors but we turn to LG because they make the best passive 3DTV panel for people who want to sit down and watch 4 hours of 3D content and not get a migraine.
    I don’t think it’s fair to judge the demand for 3D by the supply. Just because nobody wanted to pay Samsung’s premium for a worse experience does not mean that we don’t want 3DTVs at all. You can get a 65″ tv for around 500 now days, but we’re the ones spending 3stupidGrand on the 2016 B6 because it’s the only flat OLED 3D model around. If LG takes that away too, we’ll just settle for sharp or finlux and stick with LCD until they make the change.