Finally, a Sony 4K UHD HDR Blu-ray Player is on the Way

by on January 4, 2017

Stephan Jukic – January 4, 2017

After a whole year of waiting and wondering when Sony would join the ranks of Samsung, Panasonic, Philips and even Microsoft with a consumer market 4K ultra HD Blu-ray player of its own, we finally get the big reveal of their version of these devices at CES 2017. The technology leader’s new UBP-X800 4K UHD Blu-ray playback machine is on the way for early 2017.

Before the Sony PlayStation 4 Pro 4K HDR gaming console went on sale in November of 2016, there was a lot of speculation that the new game console would itself come with a 4K Blu-ray playback capacity, as was the case with Microsoft’s Xbox One S device but this turned out not to be the case and many believe that the reason for the omission was due to Sony deciding to wait for a more impactful release of a stand-alone consumer 4K Blu-ray disc player. This seems to have indeed been the case from what we’re now seeing. Furthermore, it’s possible that Sony was waiting to see what sort of specs and features refinements they could add to their UBP-X800 as the 4K content market matured into 2017.

It’s also worth noting that the UBP-X800ES is not in fact Sony’s first ever 4K Blu-ray device. In September of 2016, Sony released an earlier and similar machine called the UBP-X1000ES but this other device was part of Sony’s pro ES series of devices and could only be ordered for  custom technician-performed installation, making it impractical for the most people in the wider consumer market. The UBP-X800 will on the other hand be a true retail model that’s going to hit stores and online shopping websites when it goes on sale.

As for its performance chops, the UBP-X800 delivers pretty much what you’d expect from a 4K Blu-ray player at this point in the technology’s development. It will offer playback of UHD Blue-ray discs with HDR enabled in the HDR10 format that Sony is sticking to so far through its 4K HDR label that appears on the X800 and all premium Sony 4K TVs for 2016 and 2017. The new player will be capable of streaming HDR ultra HD media from apps like Netflix, and Sony’s own Ultra service.

The UBP-X800 is also capable of playing back discs in the HD Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray, DVD and CD formats and also comes with a USB port for other sources of digital content. As for its audio capacities, they’re nothing stunning but robust enough, with support for 192kHz/24-bit and DSD 11.2MHz1 as well as support for wireless audio through Bluetooth.

ubp-x800_top-cw-large

This new 4K BD player comes with what we’d definitely call a highly minimalist black box-type design but it should discreetly fit right next to, above or below any 4K TV unobtrusively and owners of Sony’s range of excellent HDR 4K TVs like the X940D or Z9D will probably want to pick this model above some others for its easy compatibility.

There’s no word yet on the pricing for the X800 4K Blu-ray player but we’re guessing that it’s going to retail for a price that’s competitive with the existing offerings on the market, so look forward to spending something between $250 and $350 for the device. Sony also hasn’t given a specific release date though we do know that the machine is going to hit the shelves in the Spring. We’re leaning towards a March or even late February release date.

• JohnMc
    January 5, 2017 at 5:53 am

Too late. I bought and XboxOne S and that will be where my Gaming priorities will lie too. My PS4 will be now be sidelined.

• Brian
    January 6, 2017 at 5:58 am

Does this come with vudu app? Do you know what apps it will have?

• Roy
      March 9, 2017 at 5:48 am

Yes it comes with Vudu, Netflix, Amazon and Opera Tv built in. You can also add other apps. This is a very nice player just got it today.

• Cameron/australia
    January 13, 2017 at 6:44 am

Any news on when australia will get this gem?like the person above i too got a new xbox one s.i couldn’t wait for there release for this player.if the new ps4pro had a uhd player,i would of bought that instead!bad choice from Sony doing that to the ps4pro!!!

Stephen
      March 19, 2017 at 6:47 am

Hey there Cameron, we’re hearing that it will be coming out in Australia as of July of this year. So, a bit more waiting yet. I hope it emerges earlier though.

• Angelo
    February 12, 2017 at 3:19 pm

Your article states “The new player will be capable of streaming HDR ultra HD media from apps like Netflix, and Sony’s own Ultra service.” I cannot see anywhere in the online specifications for the player that Sony has added its Ultra4k app to its new blu ray player. Can you confirm

• mark Bagley
    July 18, 2017 at 8:05 pm

My original PlayStation 4 does not play 4K I downloaded a 4K image background and I went to display it on my LG TV 1080P and it says your TV does not support three something by something I was under the impression my PlayStation 4 could not display any 4K but it’s giving me the option to display 4K so my question is will my Sony original PlayStation 4 play 4K and is there a difference between upscaling 4K and true player 4K meaning which one is the best to buy I can’t afford a true player 4K I can afford an upscaling 4K but I don’t know what it’s going to look like which one should I buy for under a hundred fifty bucks I may be spent too much on my TV if I would have known I would have bought a cheaper TV to afford a true player 4K

Stephen
      August 27, 2017 at 7:57 pm

Hey there Mark, okay, to summarize point by point: There have been recent updates to all of Sony’s Playstation consoles that are still being sold new in which 4K passthrough is supported. However, the PS4 console itself does not support 4K resolution in gaming, it has nowhere near the necessary specs to do so. Even the “4K capable” PS4 Pro has a hard time with native 4K in the games it can play. For 4K gameplay you’ll need, most of all a 4K UHD TV and just as importantly perhaps, a PS4 Pro or ideally, the Xbbox One X when it goes on sale November 7th (we’ll be reviewing it). Neither of these is available for anything close to $150. You’ll need to spend more like $300 and over, and the Xbox One X will cost $500 when it comes out. Final point, native 4K is different from upscaled 4K the difference may not be huge but there is a finer level of texture detail in native ultra HD resolution.