DISH announces the release of their new 4K Joey set-top box

by on October 1, 2015

Stephan Jukic – October 1, 2015

DISH has announced that it will bring its first ever 4K ultra HD set-top box, the 4K Joey to customers very soon, offering a connection to the Hopper Whole-Home HD DVR System from the 4K TV of a user’s choice.

The 4K Joey is on the way because it seems that DISH is responding in a big way to the suddenly even more product-laden market for 4K UHD home media streaming/download set-top boxes. The Joey is a next-generation receiver designed to deliver the “most crystal-clear picture” in 4K ultra HD resolution for all compatible and also 4K-capable TVs.

Furthermore, to those who don’t have a 4K TV in their home, the Joey still offers plenty of goodies according to PR for DISH. The set-top box is perfectly flexible with HDTVs and other non-4K models, just without its interesting 4K features.

Featuring a sleek and simple design, the upcoming Joey’s appearance belies the range of technologies buried inside its compact, ultra-slim black casing.

The slim new Joey 4K box is much more compact than many previous DISH devices for the Hopper Network

For starters, the little box is designed to rest in a number of comfortable and space-saving positions, meaning that it can either be placed right next to a TV on the same display platform or it can even be snugly placed in a vertical hanging position behind any wall-mounted 4K or HD flat screen TV model.

Naturally, the new media box also comes with full HEVC/H.265 4K content compression capacity and can thus decode 4K video from any source that offers it in this format, even if the video is formatted to be 10-bit. Additionally, there will be native Bluetooth and WiFi  support along with a learning IR/RF remote that accompanies the new 4K Joey.

Of course since this is a 4K UHD box, there will be full integration of HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 content copy protection built into it.

For subscribers of the Hopper Whole Home Video Network, the Joey is fully capable of connecting to this service through its internal MoCA 2.0 and 1.1 technology and can be upgraded down the road through satellite-based firmware updates. Furthermore, the box will offer the first ever cable or satellite client with Picture-in-Picture technology from DISH.

More details will come out as they’re available and we still don’t have a major update on what kind of 4K content sources or selections the Joey will offer support for. However, we can at least assume that there will be some interesting content coming soon.

As for the DISH network itself, it’s no slouch in the high-tech home entertainment transmission business. The company offers satellite TV to roughly 14 million subscribers and is one of the leaders in the pay-TV industry

• Mark
    December 11, 2015 at 7:44 pm

As of right now, that product is vaporware. It’s not yet available as of December 2015.

• Phillip Gordon
    December 22, 2015 at 10:23 pm

I’ve been A loyal costumer with dish for some time now.. I just recently purchased A 4k T.v.. So please keep me informed through E-mail on when I can purchase The new Dish Network 4k Super Joey…. Thanks Phillip Gordon

• Paul Soares
    January 9, 2016 at 3:57 pm

I have been a Dish customer 15 years & just purchased a 4K tv. Please keep me informed on when the 4K Joey will be available. Thank You.

Stephen
      January 11, 2016 at 4:58 am

Hello Paul. A review of the Joey is in the works for as soon as the device is available. We will definitely be covering this streaming box. It looks very promising from what we’ve heard to date. Dish has been oddly shy about finally releasing the Joey but i’m suspecting arrival very soon. It’s possible that the manufacturer wanted to see what the landscape in early 2016, post-CES looks like before a public release to market. This is just speculation though.

• Mike H
    February 6, 2016 at 10:39 am

The 4K Hoppers & Joeys are now available! (SPOILER: NO 4K CHANNELS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE)
    I just called to see what it would take to upgrade my current Hopper. To do this, Dish told me that my monthly DVR fee would go from $12 to $15… Not warranted, but no other choice, I guess. Unfortunately, that is not where the additional costs stopped … There is also a choice of a $95 installation fee or paying for their “Protection Plan” at $8/month (minimum of 180 days or $30 cancellation fee). They say the technician visit is required because there is a new dish that has to be installed too, and they do not allow self installation…even DirecTV allows self-installation. So, I started to accept this a one-time cost of getting 4K UNTIL, I was told that to get a 4K Joey, they would have to add on another one-time charge of $50. This was the point at which I started trying to get concessions… I have been a loyal customer for more than 3 years, with no payments ever being late, or anything. I asked if there was anything that they could do for me, since between the recent rate hike and these new charges, I felt that they could toss me a bone….$5 bill credit for 6 months is the best they could come up with!!!
    At this point, I wanted to see exactly what I would be getting in return for these additional charges, so I asked about how many 4K channels I would get… Iwas told something like “I imagine you’d get the sports cahnnels and your local channels for now, with more added over time”… so I pressed a bit more and asked where I could find a list of the current 4K channels…. I was put on hold for some research to be done. When the rep came back, the decision became real easy. NO 4K CHANNELS ARE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE!!! There was also no timeline they could give me as to when any would be available.
    All of the Cable and Satellite providers are trying to get away with this same kind of crap! If anybody knows a way around their crap, please share! I’m really getting fed up with all of them!

• Dan Bayer
    December 1, 2016 at 11:46 pm

Do I need a new box ,i have a DISH hd wireless box. I just got a Samsung 65″ 4k suhd tvI have DISH TV AND an Hd DISH BOX so do I need to get a new DISH box?

• Gmh
    March 30, 2017 at 3:08 pm

Dish is an unreliable bad company – they continually violate their contracts for programming, costs, etc.
    1) We upgraded to Hopper 3 & 2 Joey-2 receivers in Feb 2016, which work fine; then I bought a 4th new SUHD Samsung KS8000 TV last week and tried to add a 3rd 4K-Joey, but Dish REFUSED to provide it. Their lame excuses had NO technical merit, as a Dish installer said all our Dish equipment was correct AND all signals were Strong; however, ignorant Dish reps “read” that the 3rd satellite’s Spot-Beam transponder signal is weak in our area (despite working without issues >1year, and the Dish tech showed we had a strong signal >70), so Dish will NOT provide us with a 3rd Joey of any type.
    Further, we live less than 1/4 mile outside an arbitrary road-boundary where Dish now (not when installed last year) refuses to provide any Hopper 3 and Joey devices – despite my system works perfectly and has strong satellite signals. Dish idiots recently restricted their Hopper 3 & Joey installations and activations inside subjective road boundaries, and will not provide any flexibility to support existing Hopper 3 – Joey customers who reside on the edge of the boundary with working Dish Hopper 3 & Joey systems. Dish’s “loyalty” and President’s office were NO help, and the Dish installer couldn’t persuade them either when he was at our home yesterday to try to install/activate a 3rd Joey. Dish will lose more customers over this new accumulative client betrayal.
    2) Prior betrayals of us include Dish’s unannounced cancellation of our 3-year contract for TV programming with “guaranteed” fixed price and services, which they unilaterally changed after 18 months; removing about 50 channels and trying to charge us about 50% more per month, then refusing to reinstate our original agreement (whereby we incurred penalties if we did not abide to its terms) – we learned about this belatedly in our subsequent billing statement.
    Our Hopper 3 upgrade also had a binding contract for 24 months, with penalties if we did not abide to its terms, and it clearly states that we can add up to 6 Joeys to our Hopper 3 (which the original installer also confirmed); but Dish refuses to allow us to augment our working system for an additional TV with another Joey, despite their contract terms and earlier assurances.
    3) Another major issue is that Dish recently removed nearly ALL their prior 4K content, about Jan 2017; i.e., during 2016 Dish offered dozens of 4K & true 1080p HD movies on their channel 1/501 listings, plus more than 100 4K movies and shows at their “On-Demand” site, but now they essentially have NONE!
    Furthermore, Dish downgraded the video quality for most of their movies and shows, from former true 1080p HD or 4K to now just 720p HD and SD – both on their regular programming and On-Demand; yet they have the “gall” to try to plead ignorance of this serious downgrading of TV quality, plus they recently increased the price of their poor deteriorating monthly service.
    We are therefore sick of dealing repeatedly with Dish’s deceit, their disregard for customers, and stupidity of their business/marketing fiascos; and we will soon abandon them for other TV providers, despite the fact that Dish has some of the best TV video equipment in the Hopper 3 and 4K-Joeys, etc. No one at Dish cares about these issues (except our Dish installer, who was equally frustrated with Dish), so they’ll suffer serious consequences by losing customers.
    Buyer Beware!